Contacting Your Advisor
Students Must Contact Their Advisors for the Following Reasons:
Building a flexible further study option into their degree plan (graduate students)
- Students will build a degree plan upon initially applying to University College. When a student chooses a flexible further study, they need advisor approval.
Requesting a course substitution within their degree plan
- Students should contact their advisor to submit their course substitution request. Until the student has received written approval, the course will not be officially substituted into their degree plan.
Changing their specialty (Grad students) or major (BACP students)
- Students will build a new degree plan with their new specialty and have it approved by their advisor before the change in specialty can take place.
Changing their master’s degree from one department to another department
- Students need to apply to the new program and be accepted into the new program to make this change. The student needs to schedule an appointment with their advisor to start this process.
Changing from a master’s degree to a certificate program or vice versa
- Students need to contact their advisor to build a new plan to make this transition. The student must also apply and be accepted into the new certificate or master’s degree program.
Adding a certificate to their master’s program or vice versa
- Students must apply and be accepted into the new program. The student also needs to schedule an appointment with their advisor to combine the two graduate programs.
Requesting transfer credits (Grad students)
- Students need to submit the official transcript from their previous institution along with course descriptions to their advisor for approval and processing. The full transfer credit policy can be found in the graduate student handbook.
Requesting a copy of the degree plan
- When a student needs a copy of their degree plan, they should request it from their advisor.
Obtaining capstone seminar approval (Grad)
- Students need to contact their advisor to make sure they are eligible to register for the capstone project or capstone seminar. Without this approval students will not be able to register for the capstone seminar course or start the capstone project.
Obtaining Integrative Project Design or Integrative Project approval (BACP)
- Students need to contact their advisor to make sure they are eligible to register for the Integrative Project Design or Integrative Project. Without this approval students will not be able to register for these courses, which are taken consecutively.
Applying for a Flexible Dual Degree (Grad)
- Students need to contact their advisor to start and complete this process.
Applying for combined degree (BACP)
- Students need to contact their advisor to determine eligibility for this opportunity.
Requesting re-admission to University College
- Students who have become inactive need to contact their advisor to prepare an updated degree plan and discuss re-admission requirements, such as submitting the application for re-admission. Please note that depending on the time elapsed some students may be required to reapply to the certificate or degree program.
Building an Action Plan
- Students on academic probation need to contact their advisor to build an action plan.
Students Might Need to Contact Their Advisors for the Following Reason:
Fulfilling or determining provisional admission requirements