As a Denver native, I have great memories of my life in this vibrant city. I also truly enjoy what Denver has to offer its residents and visitors. At University College we have students who live in Denver and have the opportunity to experience the city firsthand. We also have many distance students who don’t have this opportunity. So, I would like to share my top 10 reasons Denver is a great city, with all University College students, whether you live here or come to visit…
My Denver Top 10:
1) People of Denver take pride in this great city and community is important.
2) From my daily interactions, I can proudly say people of Denver, overall, are friendly and welcoming.
3) Denver has an excellent climate and an estimated 300 days of sunshine per year. Even during some of the coldest winter months, with temperatures in the teens, there will not be a cloud in the sky.
4) From the city limits of Denver, it is just over ten miles to reach the foothills. This is about a twenty-minute drive to reach the beauty of the base of the Rocky Mountains, and a short drive to many day trips options!
5) Denver has multiple professional sports teams including teams from the four major leagues. The Denver Broncos of the NFL, the Denver Nuggets of the NBA, the Colorado Avalanche of the NHL and the Colorado Rockies of the MLB.
6) The culinary scene in Denver is vibrant and continually growing. If you love food like me, this is a great place to be.
8) Denver’s public transit system is growing with an excellent bus, light rail and airport transit system as well.
9) Even with Denver International Airport being ranked eighth busiest in the world, it is easy to navigate and efficient.
10) Denver has a thriving arts scene that anyone can enjoy.
Please feel free to share what you love about the city of Denver.
Chris Heriza is the Academic Advisor for the Global Affairs and Arts and Culture programs at University College.